On 28 September 2019, the elected officials of Nevers Agglomération, located in the centre of France, renewed their confidence in Keolis Group to operate the Taneo public transport network. The new 6-year public service concession begins on 1 January 2020. It will generate cumulative revenues of approximately 42 million euros. Keolis, which has been operating the network for 12 years, will be tasked with strengthening the transport offer in the conurbation, in particular by facilitating access to on-demand transport and deploying contactless payment. By the end of the contract, Keolis is committed to increasing the number of passengers by 11% and revenues by 25% across the entire network.
Following a call to tender, Nevers Agglomération has once again chosen Keolis to operate and maintain its Taneo urban public transport service, to offer more appealing, more connected mobility to the 67,000 residents of the conurbation’s 13 municipalities.
An enhanced transport offer
To meet the increased mobility needs of passengers in the conurbation, the new Taneo network will evolve, from September 2020 onwards, with the reinforcement of existing services:
- 10 regular bus routes, Monday to Saturday from 6.30am to 8pm, including 2 key routes.
- 3 bus routes, on Sundays, now serving three extra municipalities.
- 18 routes for schools, including 11 open to all passengers.
- 1 electric shuttle in the city centre.
- 4 on-demand transport routes, available all day.
- Additional on-demand transport services at the start and end of the day:
- Primo: serving the hospital and the station, from 6am onwards.
- Noctibus: the existing evening service (until 9.45pm during the week and 10.45pm on Fridays and Saturdays) now offers a guaranteed connection with the last trains.
- A transport service for passengers with reduced mobility.
- Evening shuttle services for performances and Nevers rugby club matches.
- A fleet of 50 electric bikes, 10 electric scooters and two bicycle trailers for children.
A more connected passenger experience
From 2020, several digital offers will be deployed, reinforcing Nevers Agglomération’s position as an innovative and smart region:
- A contactless payment solution, available from June 2020, will allow passengers to pay for and validate their journey directly, using their contactless payment card or smartphone.
- The new website, included in the NeversDansMaPoche app developed by the conurbation, will offer a new booking interface for on-demand transport services, enabling the purchase of ticket remotely via the online shop.
A more inclusive network with adjusted fares
Keen to meet the mobility requirements of all passengers, Nevers Agglomération and Keolis want to make the network more inclusive and accessible thanks to:
- The reduction in fares, with continued free transport for children under 11, the introduction of the half-price fare for 11-25 year-olds, as well as two months free for all annual subscriptions. These new fares and services are also intended to encourage passengers to buy their tickets before boarding, in order to improve traffic flow and increase commercial speed.
- The possibility of travelling on the network for free every first Saturday of the month, as well as on Saturdays in December, to promote the use of public transport and the vitality of local business.
- The creation, in 2020, of a mobile agency, which will travel to the municipalities of the conurbation, and a support service for passengers on their first journey to encourage people to use the Taneo network.
Key figures of the new Taneo network
- 40 vehicles
- 85 employees
- 1.9 million km covered per year
- 3.5 million journeys per year by 2025
- €1.4 million commercial revenue by 2025